Most people I know have an iPod or some other small musical listening device. Most runners I know have also gone for a run while listening to their favorite jams. In fact I had a friend in college who ran with her iPod on a regular basis along the roads and down the trails of our campus.
She often ran in the morning so as to beat the heat. One time she was very startled by another runner on the trail that she had not seen until he was passing her. She told me the story and we had a good laugh, but this also raises the question “is running while listening to music your super friend or a super villain to your safety?” Let’s look at several safety tips for the solo runner and see how the ipod fits in.
General Safety Tips for Solo Runners:
• Let someone know where you are running and for how long
• Make sure you are properly hydrated and fueled before you begin
• Perhaps run with mace if you are running in an unfamiliar area or one with known stray animals
• Be aware of your surroundings, including the ground (for footing), possible cars and cyclists, animals and other people
• If running on the road, run against the flow of traffic
If Running While it is Dark:
• Wear clothing and shoes with reflective strips
• Invest in a vest with reflective strips on it
How Does the iPod Fit In:
• It doesn’t fit into your safety
• It is very dangerous not to be able to hear an oncoming car, dog or someone behind you
• Cyclyist are also very dangerous to your safety
• If you have to listen to your ipod then do so at a level that you can hear your own footsteps. This might not be as loud as you want to jam to your music but this guideline could save your life
What do you think? What are your experiences running with an iPod?